Although anxiety may seem inevitable, we can certainly maintain it. Here is a quick five minute ritual to help collect your thoughts and get your breathing under control. This has helped me in times of chaos with limited resources.
- Find a quiet place with low light. Turn your phone on silent and put it away out of your sight.
- Close your eyes and focus on your breathing— breathe in for 4 seconds hold it for 7 seconds and exhale for 7 seconds.
- Put your hand on your abdomen, feel your belly filling up with air and emptying when you exhale.
- Tell yourself that this moment will not last and everything will go back to normal shortly.
- Say out loud: “This wave will pass, I will breathe again.”
Repeat for five minutes.
I hope this exercise helps you during a panic/anxiety attack or even before an exam or presentation. It is even helpful if you include it in your daily routine to manage your breathing.
Keep calm and breathe on!