I made a decision at the end of 2018 that 2019 would be a year of self-care. I needed self-care after an energetically up-and-down 2018 and the energy of my wellness was directing me to do this.
I knew that self-care was more than sneaking away from the office for a Mani-pedi,.was more than binge watching favorite shows (I love a good Hallmark movie), and was more than sleeping in on weekends.
Many people tell us to engage in self-care, but what does it really mean?
What I have discovered is that self-care is looking deep into your life, seeing the imbalances, embracing those imbalances with compassion and deciding “let’s get you some help.” Self-care is about being honest and willing to change what is not working.
So what does self-care look like for the busy entrepreneur, the hectic mom, and the emotionally frazzled creative spirit?
Self-care is every day. Period. No matter what is going on.
We have all heard the analogy of putting on your airplane air mask before you help someone else, right? It is really true. If you are not your best you, you will be of little or no help to those around you.
In late November 2018, I was so depleted and imbalanced from 2 months of weekly travel and a go-go-go 2018, I made myself “check out” in December. I have multiple businesses and all of them are rooted in helping others. But I cannot help others if I cannot muster the energy for a genuine smile and authentic assistance. I can’t and neither can you.
What I am finding (I am a work in progress) is that if you can give yourself permission and dedicate 15 minutes a day to something that is just for you, something where you will not be disturbed (by spouse, kids, pets or technology), and something that feeds your soul, you will be a better version of you for everyone you encounter.
What does self-care look like? Here are 15 of my favorite activities:
- Stroll thru a bookstore without an agenda or a timekeeper.
- Read a book or join an online class that feeds your soul.
- Spend time in a metaphysical store and see what crystals, books and oracle cards catch your eye (they are sending you a message that you need them in that moment).
- Select 7 crystals that correspond with the colors of the 7 primary chakras (energy centers), lie down and place the crystals over each chakra and enjoy for 10 minutes.
- Bring avocados into your life daily … the health benefits are awesome.
- Identify one food/drink that you know is not good for you, say goodbye to it just for 30 days, and you’ll create a new habit.
- Deeply inhale transformational therapeutic-grade essential oils for those times that your fear mind runs amok.
- Give yourself some quiet time and allow your inner voice to give you great life tips.
- Do something physical that you have not done in a while, like rollerskating or ballroom dance lessons.
- Spend time with people who uplift your mood and less time with those who drain your energy.
- Identify 5 people who meet your definition of success and spend more time with them (even if you do not know them and the time spent is online).
- Hug a pet for 15 seconds, or go to an animal shelter if you do not have a pet, and feel their pure therapeutic energy fill you up as you fill them up with love.
- Check out of work mid-day and go watch an afternoon matinee (and splurge on popcorn).
- Go outside in a nature location and breathe deeply to reconnect.
- Begin and end each day with a gratitude list.
Self-care is about you being your best at a deep level (not a cosmetic level).
2019 is the Year of You.
If you wish to follow and join in on this self-care journey, hop on over to my Instagram (AlliePhillipsPetOils) or Facebook (ManifestedHarmony) pages.
Author: Allie Phillips Email: email@example.com Author Bio: Allie Phillips is a unique blend of self-empowerment energy therapist, essential oil and crystal junkie, award-winning book author, attorney and internationally recognized animal protection legal advocate. With almost 25 years in the criminal prosecution and animal protection world, and the stressors of over 11 years working in high-paced Washington D.C., she created Manifested Harmony in 2011. She holistically merges Universal vibrational methods to help people with self-care and workplace wellness, and helps animals live with comfort in our changing world. She specializes in helping animal companions because when they grace our lives, they are our soul mates. Link to website: http://www.manifestedharmony.com